This morning I joined Athleta in Shadyside for their annual Friends and Family Event! It was so much fun. The day started with a fantastic tabata class and then progressed to healthy treats from yours truly and magnificent shopping deals.
With the gorgeous weather it’s hard to believe fall is on the way. But it is, and you can feel it in the air and in the way people are starting to get out more and enjoy every last bit of summer before the winds change. Our busy pace means we need to care for ourselves a little more these days, especially since with fall comes virus season. We need our energy and we need our health!
So what did I bring? My famous protein packed fig bites. These babies are a hit in not just my household, but in households over the city! Delicious, nutritious, and easy to make? What’s not to love?
I promised the recipe, and with no further ado here it is:
Protein Packed Fig Bites with Pumpkin Seeds and Cacao Nibs
- 1c. figs, soaked in warm water
- 1c. dates, soaked in warm water
- 2 scoops organic pea protein
- 1t. cinnamon
- 1/2 c. pumpkin seeds
- 1/4c. cacao nibs
- 1/8c. cacao powder
- Begin by crushing your pumpkin seeds in a food processor. Grind them until you have a mix of powder and rough chopped seeds. Set aside.
- Drain the figs and dates as well as possible. Place them in the base of your food processor and puree until smooth and well mixed. Scoop the mixture in to a large bowl.
- Add the pea protein and cinnamon and mix thoroughly.
- Now mix in your add-ins, except your cacao powder. Use a large spoon and incorporate well.
- When pleased with the mixture, use a tablespoon to scoop a serving into your hand. Roll into a ball and then roll in the cacao powder until covered. Place in a container and continue until the mixture is finished.
- Save these fig bites in the fridge for up to two weeks and enjoy on the go or anytime you need a quick but healthy pick me up!
*Food allergies or sensitivities? While this version is allergen friendly, you can substitute any of the add-in ingredients as desired. Options include: nuts (pistachios, almonds, cashews, pecans to name a few); coconut flakes or shreds; dried cranberries, dried currants or blueberries; spices such as nutmeg, cardamom, or ginger; turmeric and black pepper(for anti-inflammatory help!); vanilla; orange or lemon peel;… are you getting the picture?
These little treats are great for energy and immune boosting! They offer just enough sweet to satisfy that little craving but also power your body with some stealthy nutrient dense ingredients! Cacao nibs offer a punch to your antioxidant levels, cinnamon balances your blood sugar, and pumpkin seeds are a great source of zinc- a super immune booster. Top it off with a clean, inexpensive source of protein with the pea protein powder and you can’t go wrong… unless of course you don’t make enough!
Thanks for coming out today and trying some tasty treats. I hope you can take this recipe and make it your own new go-to quick snack that offers a great one-two punch!